- The city currently has 8.8 miles of greenways with another 31 in the planning stages.
- Greensboro has 946 miles of streets, 28% of which are currently rated poor or worse.
- Powell Bill funding from the state now goes entirely to resurfacing and operations.
- Most project funding now comes from bonds passed by voters.
- Battleground Rail Trail came in $1 million under bid, and will open in November of this year.
Below is a partial list of major projects, with expected start dates where available:
- New Garden Road (Jefferson Road to Brassfield Drive) -- Contract is on, and construction is expected to begin soon to relieve congestion and add sidewalks to both sides.
- Hornaday Road extension (Hornaday Road to Chimney Rock Road) -- will establish a connection with I-73, but funding from the state is still pending.
- Merritt Drive (I-40 to High Point Road) -- Widening to five lanes and adding sidewalks -- construction expected to start in 2010.
- Creek Ridge Road (Randleman Road to U.S. 220) -- Widening to 3 lanes and adding curb/gutter.
- Fleming Road Relocation/Isaacson Blvd Extension -- Extend Isaacson to Fleming and add a connection to Horse Pen Creek Road -- Scheduled to start in Spring 2010.
- High Point Road/West Lee Streetscape -- 1st public meetings to discuss will be held August 20.
- N Church Street (Wendover Avenue to Cone Blvd) - Widening to 4 lanes w/ curb and gutter, adding bike lanes and sidewalks to both sides -- funding pending
- Cone Blvd/Nealtown Road Ext. -- awaiting funding
- Market Street/College Road intersection improvement -- waiting on funding for right-of-way purchase.
- Battleground Avenue Intersection Improvements planned at following intersections: Brassfield, New Garden, Westridge and Cone
- Mackay Road (Atwater Drive to Williamsborough) -- will tie into state's High Point Road expansion to five lanes plus curb and gutter.
Thanks to Chris Spencer and Craig McKinney for a great presentation. If you weren't able to make it, but have questions about any roads project, contact GDOT at 373-4368.